-->

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

7. Al-Muhaymin, The Guardian

These feathers don't look much like wings, but I hoped with the blue they might make one think of the wings of heaven.

Al-Muhaymim is another one of the names that is mentioned in the Qur'an only in a verse that is a listing of Allah's names (59:23).  So a study of the Qur'an itself will not help with understanding it.  It is related to the same root as Al-Mumin, but most commentators seem to focus on the aspect of protection and watchfulness.  I chose feathers for the backdrop of my title for this name because muhaymin is a description for a bird that protects its young by gathering them under its wings. That image, of course, instantly brings to my mind Jesus' lament over Jerusalem: "“Jerusalem, Jerusalem... how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were not willing" (Matthew 23:37; Luke 13:34). But it also reminds me of several passages in the Psalms that speak of God's protective love in terms of the metaphor of being under His wings:

"He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge." Psalm 91:4
"How precious is Your lovingkindness, O God! Therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of Your wings."  Psalm 36:7
"Keep me as the apple of your eye.  Hide me under the shadow of Your wings." Psalm 17:8

This aspect of God makes me think of what Jesus said when he was teaching his followers not to be scared.

"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows." Matthew 10:29-31

A lot of the commentary on this name talks about the watchfulness of God--particularly in the sense that God is always watching and keeping track of what we do.  I am reminded of the song that Christians sometimes teach their children to sing, called "Oh be careful" that reminds children in the chorus "For the Father up above is looking down in love, so be careful...(what you do, say, think, etc)".



This song has never been a favorite of mine, because it gives an impression of God as someone who sits up in heaven and peers down, and also because there is a bit of a "Big Brother is watching" feel to it that I don't much care for.  But, in truth, I have to concede there is an aspect of God's watchful care over us that is meant to remind us that there is never a moment when God is looking the other way, so that we can "get away" with whatever it is that we would like to get away with.  His mercy is new every morning and endures forever, but his mercy is not a mercy that is unaware of the things that we do.

In the awareness that God is Al-Muhaymin, I want to commit my ways to the one who, as Jude says, "is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy" (Jude 1:24).

Al-Muhaymin

Al-Muhaymin, You are always watching
Al-Muhaymin, You are always there
Al-Muhaymin, You are always watching
And You always care.

You watch over all of creation
You see every sparrow that falls
Every hair on my head you have numbered
And you hear me when I call.

You never sleep and you never slumber
You watch peasants as you watch kings
As a mother hen gathers her children
You long to bring us under your wings

Every move that I make you are watching
Every step that I take you can see
You long to welcome me into Your presence
Completely whole, completely free

Al-Muhaymin, You are always watching
Al-Muhaymin, You are always there
Al-Muhaymin, You are always watching
And You always care.

No comments:

Post a Comment