-->

Sunday, July 31, 2011

5. As-Salam, The Source of Peace


According to Tafsir ibn Kathir this carries the meaning "Free from any defects or shortcomings that lessen or decrease His perfect attributes and actions.''  The word Shalom in Hebrew and the word Salaam in Arabic both carry the sense not only of peace, but also of wholeness, completeness and health.

In all three of the Abrahamic religious traditions, we go to God for peace.

God told Aaron and his sons to bless the people.  Here is a rabbi singing (and then praying in English) the traditional Aaronic blessing.

The biblical passage for this is Numbers 6:22-27.

Jesus promised peace to his followers in a number of passages.
More Christian stuff.

Before his crucifixion, Jesus said this to his followers.  "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid" (John 14:27).

He also said, "“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world" (John 16:33)

There is also another way in which Christians understand Jesus to be peace, because the entire purpose of Jesus's life on earth was to bring peace between God and mankind.  His incarnation is a reconciliation, bringing the nature of God and humanity together in one being, and his death and resurrection are even more so.

In thinking about God as our peace however, in all three traditions it also behooves us to remember that there are times when God troubles our peace.  God is not a source of complacency and there are times when drawing closer to God does not instantly result in peace but in increased trouble both in our hearts and in our situations.  Jeremiah called the conduct of people loathsome who, "dress the wounds of my people as though it were not serious.  'Peace, peace,' they say, when there is no peace" (Jeremiah 6:14).  Isaiah warns that there is no peace for the wicked (Isaiah 48:22).  Jesus warned that his teachings would divide families: "I did not come to bring peace but a sword" (Matthew 10:34).

Here is a song that came as I was considering this name, in its various dimensions

As-Salam

As-Salam, As-Salam, As-Salam

When my world comes apart at the seams
When I'm facing the death of my dreams
You're the One who makes me whole
You're the One who's in control
As-Salam, You're my peace
As-Salam

When the storm winds come swirling around
When my life crashes down to the ground
When there's nothing I can do
You're the One who brings me through
As-Salam, You're my peace
As-Salam

MP3 of Song

O God, bring me to real peace.  Where I need to be troubled on my way into your peace, then I ask for the troubles I need, so that I can come to the peace and wholeness that are yours.


No comments:

Post a Comment